Today I got an easy one pot chicken rice that is yummy and can easily be prepared ahead if you know that you have a busy week ahead and want to come home and have something hearty and tasty without doing much just before. This recipe is inspired by one I found online a while ago by B Rannaghor.
I use chicken thighs in this recipe which has got some bone in it, I prefer it to fillets because the bones do add favour to the dish. I have tried it before with boneless chicken and somehow found it a bit lacking.
The rice I used is long grained Basmati rice. I soak it for about an 40 minutes after I rinse it, this soften it up and speeds up the cooking process.
Along with water added in for the rice to cook, I use some coconut milk and that adds an amazing flavour to the whole thing.
I also add in some ghee, which is clarified butter at the very end for a richness of flavour. Garam masala is an Indian spice, that is a beautiful mix of different spices.
Lets get to the recipe
For the chicken Marinade
Chicken Thighs – 1kg
Salt – 1 teaspoon
Plain yoghurt – 2 tablespoons
Garlic paste – 1 flat tablespoon
Ginger paste – 1 flat tablespoon
Cayenne pepper – 1 teaspoon
Red onions – 1 large sliced
Bay leaves – 2
Basmati Rice – 2.5 cups, rinsed and soaked
Ginger paste -1 teaspoon
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons
Coconut milk – 2 cups
Cayenne pepper – 1 teaspoon or more according to how much heat you personally prefer keeping in mind that some was added to the chicken marinade
Coriander leaves – fresh, finely chopped
Hot water – 3 cups
Ghee – 2 teaspoons
- Marinate the chicken and allow to sit for 40 mins.
- Rinse the rice and allow to soak in water for 35-40 mins.
- Place the chicken in your pot and brown the chicken on both sides as well as allowing it to cook about half way through. Once done, take the chicken out and set aside.
- In the same pot, fry the onions till they are translucent. Then add in the ginger paste and fry.
- Add in the bay leaves and rice and mix for about a minute.
- Pour the coconut milk, hot water, salt, garam masala and mix.
- Place the chicken back into the pot and cook for about 20 minutes till everything is cooked. This should be done on low heat. Do check if there is any rice getting stuck to the bottom, if so just add in a bit of water.
- Once done, add in the ghee and coriander leaves and it is ready to serve.