Udon noodles are thick, chewy, wheat-flour noodles. They are a mix of some sliced vegetables, a protein (optional) and a savoury sauce. There are different variations to the sauce ingredients. I have here a simple spicy garlic soy savoury sauce that is oh so easy to put together.
You will love this simple, delicious meal. It is a great weeknight meal; these stir-fried udon noodles are super versatile and taste good with just about anything. They are ready in 20 minutes, start to finish and is an easy way to use up leftovers from your fridge.
The vegetables you can put in these is totally up to you and what you have at your disposal at the time, mushrooms, broccoli, cabbage or even cucumber. Similarly, what protein you add is again totally up to you. I often use minced beef or turkey. You can also use shredded chicken or even shrimp if you choose to get a little fancy. And if you don’t want to use any of these you can keep it without them entirely or just top it off with a fried egg when serving.
I use two types of soy sauce in this, light soy sauce and dark soy sauce. The dark soy sauce is mainly added to lend the dish its rich dark colour. Paired with the light soy sauce, it gives a blend of ideal taste and colour to the dish.
There are different types of udon noodles, I use the fresh ones. They are really easy to make, I put them in boiling water for a few minutes, till they get separated. They cook really fast.
Udon noodles -fresh, 3 small packets
Garlic – 5-6 pods, finely chopped or crushed
Chilli flakes – 1-2 tablespoons depending on personal preference for level of spice.
Scallions- 1-2 sprigs, finely chopped
Light soy sauce – 2 tablespoons
Dark soy sauce – 2 teaspoons
Protein of choice – Beef or turkey mince, shredded chicken or shrimp
Cucumber – finely chopped julienne slices
Sugar – ¼ teaspoon
- Chop your garlic, spring onions, vegetables, cucumber and keep ready.
- Put the udon noodles in boiling water and allow to remain in them for about 4-5 mins. Usually the packet will have instructions, just follow them if you have any doubts.
- While the udon noodles are in the water getting cooked, pour some oil in a pan and place the finely chopped garlic in the pan, fry till fragrant.
- Add in the chopped scallions and chilli flakes and fry. Add in the protein and vegetable of your choice. Allow it to cook.
- Once done, add in the drained udon noodles, light and dark soy sauce, add in the sugar, it balances all the flavours.
- Allow everything in the pan to stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding in the finely sliced cucumbers, mix through and it is ready to serve.