We were sitting at home and watching a cooking show, the chef made some meatballs and my son turned to me and said “Can we please make some meatball curry and maybe some Naan to go with it”. So, that is how I ended making this over the weekend.
I usually make meatballs with beef but this time I thought I would do it a little differently and the family loved it.
The meatballs are a combination of turkey mince, mushrooms, spinach, red onion and some lovely spices. I like to incorporate some veggies into the meatballs so that way I know that my family is not eating just meat in their meal and my son barely notices it.
For this recipe I made them into a curry because that is what my family was in the mood for but you can make these and use them with pasta or anything else you fancy.
The meatballs are pretty straightforward to make and I bake them in the oven instead of frying them so that way it does make it that much healthier and prevents me from having to stand at the stove for that much longer.
I got about 32 meatballs out of this and you can use some and freeze the rest and take it out for another dish a few days later and just make a huge pot of whatever you are in the mood for.
Let’s get to the recipe.
Ingredients for the Meatball
Turkey mince – 1kg
Mushrooms – 300gms
Spinach – 1 bunch
Red onion – 1 large
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Cumin powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons
Method for the Meatball
- Place the turkey mince in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a food processor, place the onion, mushrooms and spinach together and process until finely chopped.
- Put the mushroom and spinach mix into the bowl with the turkey mince.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Shape them into balls, I coated my fingers with oil as I formed the balls to prevent sticking.
- Place all the meatballs on a lined baking tray and bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 25 mins.
- Once done, you can use it in whatever recipe you prefer.
- To make it into a curry… read on
Ingredients for the curry
Fresh garlic – 4
Onion – 1 finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 finely chopped
Chicken stock – 2 cups
Turmeric powder – 1 ½ teaspoons
Chilli powder -2 teaspoons
Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
Garam Masala – 2 teaspoons
Cream – ½ cup
Coriander leaves to garnish
Method for the Curry
- In a pan, fry the chopped garlic, once fragrant and golden brown, add in the chopped onions and fry till translucent.
- Add in the Tomatoes and allow to cook for 5 mins.
- Add in the spices and stir well. Allow to fry for a couple of minutes before adding in the chicken stock.
- Bring this to a boil and then add in the meat balls.
- Allow the meat balls to simmer in there for about 10 mins and then add in the cream.
- Continue simmering for another 5-7 mins and finally garnish with the coriander leaves and serve with either rice or naan.