This recipe is a popular Asian takeout that can be made at home. This crunchy sesame chicken is a beautiful combination of sweet, salty and sticky. It has the right crispiness and stickiness to it making it a perfect meal if you are craving some Chinese takeout. This is so flavourful and delicious.
I used chicken breast here but you can also use thigh fillets. The chicken is cut into bite sized pieces and coated with some eggs first and then some cornstarch and spices. The cornstarch adds that amazing crispiness to it when fried.
The chicken is then fried, you might have to fry them in batches depending on the amount of chicken and the size of your pan. You do not want to overcrowd the pan. Once the chicken is fried, the sauce is prepared and chicken is coated with it. If you personally prefer more sauce just double the sauce ingredients to achieve the desired quantity. The addition of sesame oil to the sauce gives a hint of a nutty flavour. And the honey along with the sugar gives the sweetness and stickiness to it. The sriracha adds heat to the chicken. I can assure you that you and your family will love this one.
Let’s get to the recipe
Chicken breast or thigh fillets – 500gms, cut into bite sized pieces
Eggs – 2
Cornstarch – 1 cup
Smoked paprika – ½ tsp
Garlic powder – 1 tsp
Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
Garlic – 3 cloves, chopped fine
Honey – 4 tbsp
Ketchup – 2 tbsp
Siracha – 2 tbsp
Soy sauce – 4 tbsp
White wine vinegar – 1 tbsp
Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
Sesame seeds and
Boiled or fried rice
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Dredge the chicken in the egg first and then the cornstarch to which the spices are added.
- Once coated well, fry the chicken pieces in batches ensuring that they are cooked through and have a lovely golden-brown colour on the outside.
- Once all the chicken is done, set aside and prepare the sauce.
- To a pan, add sesame oil
- Add the finely chopped garlic and fry till fragrant.
- Add in rest of the sauce ingredients, remember that if you would prefer more sauce just double the ingredients.
- Once the sauce bubbles up, add in the fried chicken and mix so that the chicken pieces are well coated with the sauce.
- Allow to cook with the sauce for a couple of minutes, the sauce should thicken up.
- Once done, sprinkle some sesame seeds and enjoy with a nice bowl of rice.