This recipe is tasty and super simple to make. It is a great way to incorporate some veggies into your meal. It can be had for breakfast, brunch or even a snack.
For this recipe, I used one large zucchini and one large carrot. You can easily double up the recipe of you want to make more.
I had one zucchini left in my fridge that needed to be used up and this was a great way to do just that. After I grated the veggies, I put them in the microwave for about 2 minutes, giving them a bit of a head start in being cooked. This is just to ensure that when I do make the pancakes on the pan, they are completely cooked through. And this way most of the moisture from the zucchini evaporates.
I keep it simple and do not add in too many things, the breadcrumbs are added to absorb some of the moisture. The egg helps bind it all together.
I used only 1/2 cup of self-rising flour, there is no need for more flour. The star of the dish are the veggies. You can use plain flour instead, but just make sure to add in some baking powder so that the pancakes get some rise and fluff to it.
I added some garlic and smoked paprika for some flavour and a hint of heat.
I love to eat it with some Greek yoghurt or a mint or coriander chutney.
Let’s get to the recipe
Zucchini – 1 large grated
Carrot – 1 large grated
Eggs – 1
Breadcrumbs – 2 tablespoons
Self-rising Flour – ½ cup
Garlic powder – ¾ teaspoon
Smoked paprika – 1 teaspoon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Grate the zucchini and carrot and parboil it in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
- To this add in the rest of the ingredients and mix through.
- The consistency of the batter should be quite thick.
- Heat a pan and spray a bit of oil on it.
- Scoop some batter and shape to desired size and thickness, I do not make it too thick to ensure that it gets cooked through.
- It takes a couple of minutes on each side to get done and gets a beautiful golden-brown colour.
- It is best served hot.