This is a healthy, quick and easy Almond Loaf.
I use almond meal instead of plain flour which reduces the carb content and I use honey instead of sugar, making it so much healthier.
If you are new to low-carb baking, using almond meal is quite easy to begin with. But you have to remember that unlike regular flour, almond flour does not hold its structure as well because of the absence of gluten.
The eggs added provide that structure, air for fluffiness and some protein as well.
I have not used any butter or oil in it. I wanted to keep the fat content low. Adding butter or oil will keep the loaf soft for longer. Since I did not use any, I made a small loaf that will probably finish in a day or two.
These tastes delicious with a smear of butter or almond butter on it.
Eggs – 2 large
Honey – ¼ cup
Almond meal – 1 cup
Milk – 1 tablespoon
Baking Powder – a pinch
- Separate the egg yolks, pour the honey and whisk the yolks and honey together till they are pale.
- To this, add the almond meal and baking powder and incorporate well. Add the milk if it is too thick.
- Whisk the egg whites separately till they form soft peaks.
- Add the whisked egg whites to the egg and almond meal mix. Fold gently, do not over mix to ensure that it does not lose all the air in the mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined loaf tin, sprinkle slivered almonds on top and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 mins.