My son is not a big fan of rice and frowns if I say there is rice for dinner but he does NOT complain when I make this.
This rice is quick to make and is an amazing accompaniment with a variety of dishes. It pairs well with Indian or Mediterranean dishes.
This turmeric rice is my go-to on a weeknight especially. It is not only delicious but so easy to put together.
The chicken stock adds a lovely flavour but you can use vegetable stock if that is your preference.
I used Basmati rice, as we like the flavour but you can use any rice of your choice.
I always make extra and use the left overs for lunch the next day.
I made this rice to go along with some chicken curry.
Basmati Rice – 1 ½ cups
Onions – 1 cup, chopped
Cumin powder – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp or to taste
Chicken Stock – 2 ½ cups
- Rinse the rice till water runs clear and drain.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and fry onions for about 3- 5 minutes till softened and translucent.
- Stir in the rice and fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, chilli, turmeric powder and salt.
- Pour in the chicken stock and cook the rice.
- Fluff rice with a fork and serve.