Today I share with you an easy skillet chicken and rice recipe. This was inspired from one of Tieghan Gerard’s recipes. You can find her recipe here. I have tweaked the recipe a bit.
I find this recipe so simple and easy to put together, tastes so good and uses ingredients that you already probably have in the fridge and pantry. The combination of the rice and spaghetti does add in that different element to the texture of the dish. And frying them a bit adds a lovely nutty flavour. The cajun coated chicken, seared is absolutely gorgeous in flavour and a treat to the eyes as well.
Let’s get to the recipe
Chicken thighs – 1kg
Cajun Seasoning – enough to coat the chicken
1 Lemon sliced
Broken Spaghetti – 3/4 cup
Rice – 2 cups
1 red onion – chopped fine
Frozen veggies – A combination of peas, green beans and broccoli, approximately 1.5 cups
Chicken stock – 4 cups
Butter – 30gms
Garlic cloves – chopped fine
Smoked Paprika – 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper
- Marinade the chicken with Cajun seasoning, a little salt and oil. set aside for 15 -20mins.
- Heat a cast iron skillet and sear both sides of the chicken pieces for about 5 mins till they are a beautiful golden brown colour. At the end of that add the butter and add in the sliced lemon allowing the lemon to caramelize in colour. Once done remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the garlic and onions, then add in the broken spaghetti and rice, allow to fry for a couple of minutes. Add in the smoked paprika and stir through.
- Then add in veggies, which has been placed in the microwave for about 3-4 mins allowing it to thaw and par boil for a bit.
- Then add in the chicken stock. Check for salt, add in salt and pepper according to taste.
- Add in the chicken and lemon slice.
- Place in a preheated oven at 180 degC with the skillet covered for about 15 mins or until the rice and chicken are cooked through.
- Once done, take out the lemon slices and discard them and serve hot.